ECONYL® Pure is made of 100% regenerated nylon and is made for piece dye applications, giving it the ultimate in flexibility for design. Because it is infinitely regenerable without any loss of quality and is available in a number of lusters and finishes, this closed loop product is an excellent choice for any architect or designer.
The ECONYL® Regeneration System is the world’s most efficient industrial system for production of nylon 6 from regenerated waste materials, producing nylon 6 indefinitely from 100% regenerated waste materials through a closed loop manufacturing process of 6 steps:
1. World-wide waste rescue: identification, localization and recovery of waste
2. Storage and preparation of pre- and post-consumer waste
3. Depolymerization: transformation of waste into raw material (caprolactam)
4. Polymerization: transformation of raw material (caprolactam) into polymers
5. Polyamide 6 chips are turned into yarns
6. Recommercialization: our yarns are used to produce sustainable final products
Environmental benefits related to the ECONYL® Regeneration System have been quantified with a set of projects based on the Life Cycle Assessment approach. The assessment looked at the entire process of producing ECONYL® Pure fiber, including waste collection, waste sorting and pre-treatments as well as all of the necessary industrial phases needed to convert nylon waste into new raw materials.
ECONYL® Pure fiber production comes with tangible environmental benefits.
For every 10,000 tons of ECONYL® regenerated caprolactam:
-70,000 barrels of crude oil are saved
-988,000 GJ of total process energy are saved
- CO2 emissions are reduced by 54 thousand tons.
ECONYL® Pure fiber is consuming approximately 47%* less energy, and avoiding approximately 50%* of CO2 emissions, compared to Aquafil's traditional fiber.
*numbers derived from EPD for ECONYL® Nylon Textile Filament yarns REV.1 (and its background LCA report) and EPD for BCF reprocessed yarns REV.0 (and its background LCA report)
Best of NeoCon Gold Award 2017